Saturday, December 6, 2014

Books and/or Magazine Articles to Recommend?


Doug: Happy weekend, kids. I'll tell you -- these become times most prized as my life marches on. Though retirement is still the better part of a decade away, I have really come to treasure leisure. You know what I'm saying?

Doug: Hey, a couple of weeks ago author Todd Frye reached out to Karen and I and asked if we'd like an examination copy of his book Marvelous Mythology: How the World's Greatest Superheroes Were Created. Well sure! I'm always open to checking out comics history, even if it's someone's editorial viewpoint. And let's face it -- comp talks! So Todd was nice enough to send me a copy of the tome you see pictured at right. You can see the book for sale at Amazon.com, in paperback or Kindle edition. Todd also has the first chapter posted online, and you can read it here.

Doug: I plan to give Todd's book the "BAB Book Review" treatment later in the month (hopefully), but told him we'd give him a plug since he thought enough of us to ask us to review his work. I'll say this now, though: While you might find the first half of the first chapter to be rife with Timely/Atlas/Marvel/Goodman/Lee/Kirby facts you already know, the narrative does pick up steam as Todd puts down his thoughts on the impact of Fantastic Four #1. I'm looking forward to chapter 2, and beyond.

Doug: We can also use this space today for recommendations of comics literature you've read in the past few months or so -- what should the rest of us be reading? Everyone have a great weekend, and Happy Holidays to those who have developed wonky celebration schedules due to family, travel, etc.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
William said...

The "Modern Masters" series of interview books by TwoMorrows Publishing are pretty cool. I have the John Byrne book (Vol. 7) and the Bruce Timm (Vol. 3). These are my two all-time favorite artists, so they were must haves for me.

They are chock full of interesting facts and behind the scenes stories straight from the creator's mouths, as well as many examples of their art. If there is an artist you really like, these are a really fun read, and I highly recommend them.

I think there are around 30 volumes that feature interviews with a wide variety comic artists from the last 40 or 50 years or so. Just go to Amazon and type in "Modern Masters (artist's name)" and there's a good chance you'll find who you're looking for. (However, there is no Neal Adams or Jack Kirby). There is also no Ron Frenz. I definitely would have bought that one as well. But there is Art Adams, George Perez, Walt Simonson, Jose Luis Garcia Lopez, Alan Davis, Mike Wieringo, MIke Allred, Michael Golden, Kevin Maquire, Charles Vess, John Romita Jr., and etc.

Anonymous said...

The most Highly Recommended ANYTHING for comic book enthusiasts with my similar tastes------

BACK ISSUE magazine,

the only comic-related thing I REALLY get excited about nowadays (besides Handbooks and movies!)

starfoxxx

Edo Bosnar said...

I read that first chapter, and yes, I had read a bunch of that stuff elsewhere, but it was still rather engrossing. I'm betting the book's pretty good.

Anonymous said...

It has nothing to do with comics, but anybody who would enjoy a collection of outstanding short horror stories, check out Laird Barron's THE BEAUTIFUL THING THAT AWAITS US ALL.
The best way I could describe it is Jack London meets H. P. Lovecraft, with a lot of wit and sophistication thrown in.
Warning: it will give you nightmares!
Best book I've read in years. mp

The Prowler said...

One book I keep coming back to is Paul Davis' 100 Decisive Battles. Its a great read front to back and a quick skim to open to a page and read for a bit. Its fun to see how events scattered around the world could come together to affect events years later.

(Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again and don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin).

Related Posts with Thumbnails